The Ascension Church is a beautiful building of great historical value. However, it has a number of problems associated with its age. Firstly, it needs essential repairs: we need to 'stitch the front back on', mending the large cracks in the wall before the building becomes unsafe. Secondly, it needs some restoration: we need to redecorate, clean, and restore the building generally, replace our ageing and noisy heating system and our worn-out sound system. Thirdly, we want to reorder the interior, sensitively upgrading the space in line with modern requirements of accessibility and the need to support different kinds of worship and activities.
- Stitching the front, repairing damaged plaster and other works.
- Redecorating and cleaning throughout.
- Upgrading the toilets and improving our toilet for people with disabilities.
- Replacing the sound system.
- Replacing the heating system.
- Removing the pews and laying a new level wooden floor and bringing in high-quality chairs.
- Ensuring that children and adults with disabilities have full access throughout the building.
- Introducing a narthex, or porch area, to improve our welcoming facilities and keeping the building warm.
- Adding a small glassed off room for a creche/meeting room.
- Resiting the font to allow this.